Blogger Template by Blogcrowds


Today in Simple Man Politics we are going to discuss “The Future of Journalism”, which is unsurprisingly the title of the Senator John Kerry (D) commerce subcommittee hearing held this very day. Make no mistake my friends the future of journalism is definitely an issue both politically and economically. This hearings subtopic was about the survival of the newspaper industry, which is becoming an endangered species.

For me personally I have a lot of great memories of sitting down at my dining room table to have my first cup of morning coffee, my first morning cigarette and my newspaper. It was a ritual for me as I’m sure it was for most of you a ritual to read the morning paper. I liked to read the front page, the sports page, and the most important page of all the comics.

To be honest though that tradition is the past and the industry helped to put itself there by not thinking ahead to their future and their appetite for the almighty dollar. Along the way the newspaper industry also ceased to be about keeping the public truthfully informed by keeping an eye on those in power for us.

Another unfortunate condition that may be contributing to heir demise is the political agenda and bias that most publications present nowadays. These are the things that the newspaper industry is responsible for doing to themselves.

There are other contributing factors to the failing health of the newspaper industry as well. First there is the 24 hour news cycle created by cable news outlets like Fox News, CNN, and MSNBC. Another dangerous news outlet to the health of the newspaper is the internet, where you can find out anything you want on any subject with the typing of a keyword in a Google search and a click of the mouse on the search button.

One of the things that the committee discussed was the quality of good journalism, which some contributed to the newspaper industry. It seems to me however that in light of the newspaper industry and its assured demise that a lack of quality journalism might have helped to contribute to their loss of readership and shrinking subscriptions.

The newspapers argue that it is the internet and cable TV that are doing them in and I agree, because there is quality journalism in both outlets and I am living proof of that. Most of the good unbiased journalists who have written for the newspaper industry in the past now use the internet as a forum to get the word out. Alas though just like the newspaper industry bias has found its way into the cable and internet as well.

Another subject that this committee hearing addressed was how to keep the newspaper industry afloat financially. There was discussion of giving the industry tax exempt status. Another topic was charging for online content. The only phrase that was not uttered today was bailout but I am sure that that topic won’t be too far behind in future hearings particularly since we are bailing everybody else out.

That is all for today folks so have an awesome day and I will be back tomorrow CIAO4NOW!!!!!

2 comments:

I used to love to read the paper especially on Sunday, but with their decidedly left leaning bias I can't be bothered with them now. I really don't care if they go out of business because I personally wont miss them at all.

May 7, 2009 at 10:13 PM  

I must admit to having mixed emotions. After all, who can forget the pleasure of opening up the paper and turning quickly to the comic section to get a laugh.

As far as journalism goes, people like Obama and other liberals are constantly trying to get more control over the media and I'm afraid print media like newspapers will only become media in the back pocket of the government.

Although internet media has quite a few drawbacks, it is easier for people to put out opinions on the web that aren't in line with the liberal thinking that our governing officials currently embrace.

May 8, 2009 at 1:38 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home