Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

The Politics of Roe v Wade

Howdy folks, can you believe its Friday already? Well it is, which means its time for the Friday post of Simple Man Politics, and the last one of the week thank god. I think we are all looking forward to the weekend, and a little bit of down time. Of course no down time for me, busy, busy, busy as always, and the subject of this post has kept me very busy and aware that it is a most sensitive issue, particularly during an election year. I have had a couple of requests to discuss Roe v Wade, and since it is relative to politics, I have decided that regardless of how other people may feel, and my own views on the matter, I should get it over with and out of the way…so here we go.

Roe v Wade was a law decided upon by the United States Supreme Court on January 22, 1973. Mr. Justice Blackmun wrote the opinion, with Mr. Justice Rehnquist dissenting, and Mr. Justice Stewart concurring. The law came about as a result of (Roe) bringing a class action challenging the constitutionality of Texas criminal abortion laws. A childless married couple (the Does) attacked the law separately, “basing alleged injury on the future possibilities of contraceptive failure, pregnancy, unpreparedness for parenthood, and impairment of the wife’s health”. By the way, the wife was not pregnant at the time they challenged the law. A three judge district court ruled that Roe, and a physician named Halford has a case, and the right to sue. The court declared that the abortion statutes were vague, and infringing on the rights of the plaintiffs. They also decided that the Does complaint was not justiciable. As a consequence of all of this Roe v Wade was born.

Republican Presidential hopeful John McCain believes that Roe v Wade is a flawed decision that must be overturned, and as President he would nominate judges who would not attempt to legislate from the bench, understanding that is not their business. He believes that by reversing Roe v Wade that constitutional balance would be restored and each individual state would have to answer the question of whether or not abortion is legal within their jurisdiction. However, McCain also believes that reversing Roe v Wade doesn’t by itself end abortion, which he says is a human tragedy. There has to be more encouragement, and support for expectant mothers to bring their babies into the world. Also reinforcement of infrastructure there by strengthening faith based community, and neighborhood organizations that provide services to expectant mothers is imperative. McCain also believes that adoption is a viable alternative to abortion and should be heavily promoted.

On the other side you have Democratic Presidential hopeful Barack Obama. He says he respects other people’s opinions who disagree with him, and understands that abortion is a very explosive and divisive issue. He believes in upholding Roe v Wade, and a woman’s right to choose. During his time in the Illinois legislature he worked hard to make sure those rights were well protected. He is a co-sponsor of a bill to expand access to contraception, health information, and preventive services, in hopes of reducing unintended pregnancies, it is known as the Prevention First Act.

I also understand that this is a touchy issue for a lot of people, and that in a conversation or debate over its contents it can become very explosive very fast. However, this is where I put in my own opinion of Roe v Wade, and I am sure some of you may not agree with me. I believe that life begins at conception. I am not a big fan of abortion, and do not think it is a viable form of birth control which some people do use it for. I am strongly against the procedure known as partial birth abortion, and I believe it is an act of murder, and doctors performing this procedure should be tried, convicted, and sentenced the same as an individual who has committed murder in the first degree, preferably with a sentence of death. I also believe there should be some incentive for expectant mothers to carry their babies to term, and if not to raise them themselves, then to put them up for adoption, because there are a lot of women out there who can’t have children, but would be fantastic mothers. For the record, I do believe that a choice for abortion should be available in the case of rape, incest, or health of the birth mother.

There you have it, Roe v Wade, the candidate’s positions, and my own opinion as simple as I can explain them. I hope this is informative for you guys, and is not offensive to you in any way either. Like I always say, I can only find the facts and report them to you, but you have to decide where you stand for yourself. My opinion however is my own, and now you know where I stand. Have a wonderful weekend, and I will see you all on Monday, CIAO4NOW!!!!!

1 comments:

Bravo...I totally concur that abortion is murder, but that is my belief. I do, however, believe that should be up to the woman going through it. We cannot force beliefs upon anyone...the right to choose is definitively what Roe v Wade is about...a woman's right to decide what is going on in her body. Everyone should be allowed to choose, what they believe is one of those choices. I believe it is murder, others do not....that is why we ultimately have "Freedom of Religion."

August 8, 2008 at 12:54 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home