Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Well, here is my first post, and it is only fitting that it be about Americans with Disabilities, because my son is a 16 year old Trisomy 21 downs syndrome teen, and today is his birthday. So today, I'm going to write about our presidential candidates position's, on how they will deal with Americans with disabilities.

After considerable research, I have discovered that John McCain voted for the Americans with Disabilities act, but might not vote for the proposed ADA Restoration Act, because it changes drastically, the way being disabled is defined. However some disability groups do claim that McCain does support the bill, I have found no direct evidence, that John McCain has said this. There is also another piece of legislation known as the Community Choice Act of 2007. John McCain is definitely not in support of this legislation, even declaring it so to a disabled individual at a town hall meeting, saying he doesn't think it's the right sort of legislation. He didn't expand on why he thought it wasn't the right sort of legislation though. I will try to find out more about this, and let you all know why he took the position he did on that piece of legislation. And while McCain has not voted for every piece of legislation pertaining to the disabled, he does have a record, of being an advocate for the disabled.

On the other hand, I found out that Barack Obama does support both the ADA Reform act, and the Community Choice Act of 2007. Obama states that he supports the ADA Reform Act, because it will allow a more broader definition by the government of what it means to be disabled, so as to more easily qualify for programs like SSDI, SSI, Medicare, and Medicaid. He also wants to scheduling flexibility in the definition of "reasonable accommodation" under the ADA. He also supports the Community Choice Act of 2007, and said he would sign the bill into law once in office. Obama has also laid out a four point plan for dealing with disabled Americans, which I have read. I hope you read it as well.

Knowing, what I now know, on these candidates positions, in regard to how they will deal with the question, of Americans with Disabilities. I can only deduce that I can trust John McCain to keep the price tags as low as possible, being that he is such a hawk on finance, and budget matters. I can also deduce, that Obama has put a lot of thought into his four point plan, as well as willingness to greatly expand the ability to qualify, for the above mentioned government entitlement programs. I can also say, that I'm sure they will cost the taxpayer a lot of money, and I have to wonder how Obama plans to get it. Considering his economic policies, I'm sure the answer to that question is abundantly clear.

2 comments:

Wow..u really suprised me with your blog..and you did very well on the subject..my only comment so far is dont go hoping for either candidate to do anything about it..i have learned they will say alot to get the job of "PRESIDENT" then once there in nothing is gonna be done..Push this issue..for your son you should..Thanks for sharing and a great blog it is too!

July 21, 2008 at 9:25 AM  

I'm glad you liked the blog, and I know your right about these guy's doing anything to get elected, but i agree the issue has to be pushed. Thank you for the post.

July 21, 2008 at 7:02 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home